Trigger Warning: Addiction, sexual abuse, and violence are all mentioned in this episode of You, Me, Empathy.
As a licensed psychotherapist, Sheri helps us define narcissism, and we explore where narcissism originates and its impact on relationships, love, the world at large—and how we can better understand and combat narcissism in our lives.
Sheri's father was a narcissist and sex addict with a lack of humanity, who often debased, humiliated, and abused her. Sheri also opens up about her schizophrenic and abusive mother, who threatened Sheri and her sister, often with a knife or a hammer, and how her mother forbade Sheri and her sister from leaving the house.
Sheri's story is heartbreaking. And, most importantly, it's one of triumph. Sheri is doing beautiful work in the world as a therapist, clinical social worker, and interfaith minister. If you can relate to her story, do her a kindness and let her know that she is not alone.
For links we mentioned during this episode, scroll down
Thanks for listening, and thanks for empathizing with us!
Support You, Me, Empathy:
- Become a You, Me, Empathy patron on Patreon!
- Subscribe, rate, review You, Me, Empathy on iTunes
- Subscribe to You, Me, Empathy in Stitcher
- Sheri Heller's website
- An Orphan's Memorial To Her Dying Mother
- Trauma and Recovery by Judith Herman
- The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm
Follow You, Me, Empathy on Social Media:
- @YouMeEmpathy on Instagram
- @YouMeEmpathy on Twitter
- @subjectplusverb on Twitter
- @subjectplusverb on Instagram
- Join the You, Me, Empathy Group on Facebook!